Busy, busy, little bees
This week has been a painfully busy week for me; got a few assignments due by the end of this week and a couple final exams that I need to study for, so I'm going to try to keep this blog post short.
This week's lecture basically went over different sorting methods, and expanded a little further on the concepts we've talked about last class. We went over some more big-Oh notation stuff, then went on to talk about recursion limits. One of the things we looked at during lecture was the idea of using 'memoization' to improve the efficiency of a function. We specifically looked at the python implementation of the Fibonacci function, then improved its runtime through the use of memorization (the difference in speed was significant).
Tim-Sort
Another topic we covered in class that I thought was interesting was the Tim-Sort. To my understanding, tim-sort is the standard sorting algorithm used in the Python standard library. It utilizes the fact that in most real-world data, lists tend to be already partially sorted. I do wish that the instructor had been a little bit more clear on exactly how tim-sort works; we only briefly went over tim-sort during lecture. I understand that its probably outside the domain of this course, but I think it would have been pretty cool to get a more in-depth rundown on tim-sort out of intellectual curiosity. My understanding on tim-sort is relatively limited, so I would really appreciate it if someone reading this post might be willing to enlighten me on how tim-sort works.
Until next time!
Tim-Sort
Another topic we covered in class that I thought was interesting was the Tim-Sort. To my understanding, tim-sort is the standard sorting algorithm used in the Python standard library. It utilizes the fact that in most real-world data, lists tend to be already partially sorted. I do wish that the instructor had been a little bit more clear on exactly how tim-sort works; we only briefly went over tim-sort during lecture. I understand that its probably outside the domain of this course, but I think it would have been pretty cool to get a more in-depth rundown on tim-sort out of intellectual curiosity. My understanding on tim-sort is relatively limited, so I would really appreciate it if someone reading this post might be willing to enlighten me on how tim-sort works.
Until next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment